Wednesday, June 25, 2008

In the news...lately.

Well, there have been some developments on the Syracuse Athletics front recently. After a few weeks of lull, things seemed to have picked up a bit over at Manley.

The Syracuse Men's Lacrosse team met with the leader of the "free world". They exchanged handshakes and gifts. President Bush was even so kind as to pronounce the name of the University correctly. What a guy! And he has a sense of humor!

"One of the things I tell people is that if you work hard and become a repeat champion, I look forward to welcoming you back to the White House," the president said. "However, this time it's not going to work. My eligibility has run out."

He's no dud.

The Syracuse Men's Basketball team has a new player. Albeit, he won't be able to play until 2009, Wesley Johnson, who I guess would be described as a "wingman", has decided to transfer from Iowa State to Syracuse. Johnson allegedly has a ridiculous vertical, plays bigger than his size and has a deft outside touch. I would suggest a thorough investigation of this mans closet for bodies and such. Players with those reputations don't usually transfer and they sure as hell don't get recruited to play for the Cyclones.


Lastly, the Syracuse Athletic Department has revealed the new uniforms for what I believe is the third year in a row. I'm sure that this has nothing to do with helping market new merchandise and find a way out of our shitty record. Unfortunately no one told them that without a running game it really doesn't matter what the hell they wear. At first I didn't like some of the white additions, but I then realized that I have no problem with the jersey, it's the choice of pants that I'm worried about. The orange helmet with the blue jersey and white pants is going to look like a JV team. My old high school has much better uniforms than that. Keep the orange pants on at home and use the white on white on the road.

Come on...even Vera Wang thinks it looks good.








Okay, I lied.

2 comments:

Ryan said...

Iowa State fan here...

You are getting a good player in Wesley Johnson. There were some strange circumstances in his leaving ISU.

As for him not being the caliber of player to be recruited to ISU, he was not highly touted out of H.S. He attended a school that dropped its BBall program, and fell through the recruiting cracks.

You had a less than subtle dig about ISU basketball. There have been some great players to play for ISU. Ever heard of Marcus Fizer, Jamaal Tinsley, Fred Hoiberg, Jeff Hornacek, or (Olympian)Jeff Grayer???

Frankie said...

Guilty as charged. I've always looked at Fizer as a bum, but I've always liked Hoiberg and Hornacek. That being said, I think we just hope that he fills a need. He might have shady reasons for leaving he seems to fill the stat sheet.